- Module 7: Communicating Effectively [syllabus (106 KB)] [slides (93 KB)]
- Module 8: Clarifying Diagnosis and Prognosis [syllabus (372 KB)] [slides (99 KB)]
- # 006 Delivering Bad News-Part 1, 2nd ed
How to prepare to discuss test results with the patient?
- # 011 Delivering Bad News-Part 2, 2nd ed
Key points to teach residents how to deliver bad news.
- # 016 Moderating an End-of-Life Family Conference, 2nd ed
How to moderate a Family Conference
- # 017 Patient-Centered Interviewing, 2nd ed
Patient-centered Interviewing – Assessing a patient's illness experience by asking about 4 dimensions—Feelings, Ideas, Function and Expectations.
- # 021 Hope and Truth Telling, 2nd ed
How to balance hope and truth telling, especially as it applies to giving bad news.
- # 029 Responding to Patient Emotion, 2nd ed
Eight tasks to guide you in responding to patient emotion
- # 047 What Do I Tell The Children, 2nd ed
A common question asked by dying adults or their family members is What do I tell the children?
- # 077 Telephone Notification of Death - Part 2, 2nd ed
The dilemma of whether to provide telephone information versus asking family members to first come to hospital before telling them that death has occurred.
- # 154 Use of Interpreters in Palliative Care
Key issues when using interpreters.
- # 172 Professional Patient Boundaries in Palliative Care
Health professional-patient boundaries.
- # 194 Disclosing Medical Error
How to disclose an error with a patient/family.
- # 195 Responding to a Colleague's Error
How to respond to a colleague's error.
- # 203 Managing One's Emotions as a Clinician
Clinicians' emotional responses to patient care.
- # 204 African Americans and End-of Life Care
Differences in end-of-life care and values between African Americans and the population as a whole.
- # 216 Asking about Cultural Beliefs in Palliative Care
a framework for taking a 'cultural history' to better understand a patient's and family's needs.
- # 219 Responding to Requests for Non-Disclosure of Medical Information
A practical approach to responding to families who request non-disclosure to the patient.
- # 222 Preparing for the Family Meeting
Careful preparation for the family meeting is essential to ensure the best outcome
- # 224 Responding to Emotion in Family Meetings
Approach to emotions that arise during family meetings
- # 227 The Family Meeting: End of Life Goal Setting and Future Planning
Goal setting when the expected length of life is short
- # 241 Improving Communication When Hearing Loss is Present
Hearing loss can lead to misunderstandings, which in the health care setting can literally have life-or-death implications
Help us to expand the resources on this site quickly.
Please send your suggestions to
Technical Issues? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Page Last Modified: Thu Sep 15 2011