Agnes Calsina Berna, MD
Fellow, International Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program, Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice
Skype: agnes calsina
Dr. Calsina began the International Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program in 2009 and graduated in December, 2011. She currently works as Attending Physician at the Institut Català d’ Oncologia (ICO) in L’ Hospitalet de Llobregat, Barcelona. Dr. Calsina has always had the desire to treat the ‘whole’ patient rather than just the disease. This desire led her to seek out the fellowship program. Agnès is very interested in sharing her knowledge of palliative medicine with peers, residents, patients and families. She is particularly interested in and sensitive to the death and dying experience in different cultures. She has worked with Consorci Sanitari Parc Taulí, Sabadell. She is also collaborating in a research project called NECPAL that is studying the needs of patients who require palliative support and who are admitted in a Tertiary Hospital.
- Member of SCMFIC (Catalan Society of Family and Community Medicine)
Education / Honors:
- Masters in Palliative Medicine, Universitat de Barcelona, Anticipated graduation June 2012
- International Palliative Medicine Fellowship Program, Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice, June 2009 – December 2011
- Presentation of the manuscript, “Interference in sleep in patients with pain in primary health care,” for research proficiency, Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona, November 2009
- Master’s Degree in Primary Health Care and completion of research project: “Interference in sleep in patients with pain in primary health care”, January 2008 – June 2009
- Residency in Family and Community Medicine, Florida Nord and Hospital Universitari de Bellvitge, Hospitalet de Llobregat, 2005-2009
- Passed M.I.R. exam (licensing examination) in the first round, 2005
- Graduate of Medicine and Surgery, Universitat de Barcelona, 1998-2004.
- Treatment of Chronic Hiccups in Cancer Patients: A Systematic Review. Journal of Palliative Medicine 2012; 15(10): 1142-50.
- Frequency of Pain as a Reason for Visiting a Primary Care Clinic and its Influence on Sleep. Calsina-Berna A., Moreno Millán N., González-Barboteo J., Solsona Díaz L., Porta-Sales J. Aten Primaria. 2011 November; 43 (11):568-75 . Epub 2011 Mar 5.
- Cancer Cachexia. Tuca Rodríguez A., Calsina-Berna A., González-Barboteo J., Gómez-Batiste Alentorn X. Med Clin (Barc). 2010 Oct 16; 135(12):568-72.
- Delirium in Advanced Oncology Patients admitted in a Palliative Care Unit. Calsina-Berna A., Garzon-Rodriguez C., Porta-Sales. Journal of Palliative Medicine. 2009; 16 (5): 286-90.
- Descriptive study about the use peritoneal catheters for the management of malignant ascites. Sales Moreno P., Calsina-Berna A., López Postigo M., Cabrera Pajarón M., Poyato Gómez E., Grimau Malet I. Medicina Paliativa. Currently in press.
- The square of care and the model of needs, December 2011
- Constipation in Palliative Care, March 2011
- Last days of living situations, March 2011
- How to treat a patient with symptoms: instruments, idea of globality, March 2011
- Rounds: Covering physical, psychological, social and spiritual needs, March 2011
- Palliative care and team work, December 2010
- Sensitization workshop about the end of life, October – November 2010
- Last days of Living, October 2010
Subscribe to IPCRC.net
New videos and content are released weekly. Be the first to know and share with your colleagues.
Or text 22828 to "TreatThePain" to join our email list
RSS FEED: RSS Feed
Follow us on: