Agnes Csikos, MD, PhD
University of Pecs Medical School,
Institute of Family Medicine
Pecs-Baranya Hospice Program
Dr. Csikos established the Pecs-Baranya Hospice Foundation in 2004. As Medical Director she provides patient care and palliative care consults for primary care physicians. She is an Associate Professor at the Institute of Family Medicine, University of Pecs Medical School, teaching medical, nursing and pharmacy students, residents and continuing medical education courses. As part of her role, Agnes teaches symptom management and pain control, psychosocial and spiritual aspects of care, and puts emphasis on education of the “hospice team” approach. She is committed to introduce palliative care education as an obligatory part of the medical and nursing training programs.
- President, Pecs-Baranya Hospice Program
Vice President, Hungarian Hospice-Palliative Care Association
Member, Scientific Committee, 13th Congress of the European Association for Palliative Care
Country delegate to the ATOME program: National Action Plans for Improving Access to Opioid Medication
- Established the Department of Hospice-Palliative Care at University of Pecs Medical School, First hospice-palliative care academic program in the country
- Established a Palliative Care Outpatient Clinic at University of Pecs Medical School, Department of Oncology, the first university palliative care outpatient clinic in the country
- Established the Pecs-Baranya Hospice Program Quality Certification Quality Assurance Certification ISO9001
- Initiated the World Hospice and Palliative Care Day and Fields of Dignity Programs at Pecs, Hungary
- Established Pecs-Baranya Hospice Program, providing specialized home hospice care in 71 locations in the region of Baranya County
Education / Honors
- Leader, International Palliative Care Leadership Development Initiative, The Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice, San Diego, CA, USA, 2010-2011
- Doctoral Degree (PhD), Pecs University Medical School Institute of Behavioral Sciences, Pecs, Hungary, 2011
- Fulbright Scholarship, Hospice and Palliative Care Program, Akron, Ohio, USA, 2008
- Hungarian-American Hospice Exchange Program, Akron, Ohio, USA, 2003
- Post Graduate Training, Specialized in Family Medicine, Pecs University Medical School Institute of Family Medicine, 2002
- Post Graduate Training, Certified in Family Medicine, Pecs University Medical School, Pecs, Hungary, 1999
- Post Graduate Training, Certified in Health Law, Pecs University Law School, Pecs, Hungary 1996
- Medical Degree, Pecs University Medical School, Pecs, Hungary,1995
- Csikos A. (2011). Morphine titration up and down, opioid rotation: chance for closure and saying good-bye. Orvostovábbképző Szemle; 147:82-84.
- Csikós A, Nagy L, Busa Cs, Kállai J. (2011). Attitudes on death and dying: survey of patients visiting the primary care office. Orv Hetil; 152:1082-1092.
- Csikos A, Mastrojohn J, Albanese T, Richmond J, Radwany S, Busa Cs. (2010). Physicians'Beliefs and Attitudes About End-of-Life Care: A Comparison of Selected Regions in Hungary and the United States. J Pain Symptom Manage; 39:76-87. IF: 2,640 CI: 1
- Csikos A, Albanese T, Busa Cs, Nagy L, Radwany S. (2008). Hungarians' Perspectives on End-of-Life Care. J Palliat Med; 11:1083-1087. IF:0 CI: 2
- Csikos A, Lukács M. (2007). Hospice: New opportunities in the care of terminally ill. Med Univ; 40:66.
- Trompos K, Dormán H, Csikós A, Nagy L. (2007). Liason psychiatric model in General Practice. Háziorvos Továbbképző Szemle; 3:212-215.
- Csikos A, Blasszauer B, Nagy L, McKormick K, Gilchrist V. (2006). End-of Life Issues and Hospice Care in US and in Hungary. Palliat Med; 20:328. IF: 1,939
- Csikós A, Lukács M, Nagy L. (2006). Hospice care in Hungary. Magyar Belorv. Arch. Suppl; 2:49.
- Csikos A. (2004). Hospice development in Pecs, Medical School Newsletter, Fall
- Csikos A. (2004). Family Medicine and Hospice, Hospice News, April
- Heim Sz, Vegh M, Ban I, Csikos A, Rinfel J, Nagy L. (2002). “Step by step” Improvment of our educational system based on the Ohio experience, Medicus Universalis, XXXV. 237-240
- Csikos A, Vegh M. (1999). Patients Rights in the Practice of Family Medicine, Medicus Universalis, Volume 4. XXXII. August. 199-201
- Csikos A, Mastrojohn J, Albanese T, Busa Cs, Nagy L, Radwany S. Cross-Country Differences in Physicians' Beliefs about End of Life Care: The USA and Hungary.11th EAPC Congress, Vienna, Austria, May 7-10, 2009
- Csikos A, Mastrojohn J, Albanese T, Busa Cs, Nagy L, Radwany S. Barriers to Caring For Terminally ill Patients in the Home: A Cross-Country Comparison. 11th EAPC Congress, Vienna, Austria, May 7-10, 2009
- Busa Cs, Csikos A, Mastrojohn J, Albanese T, Nagy L, Radwany S. Hungarian Family Physicans' Knowledge, Attitudes, and Perceived Cultural and Institutional Barriers Related to Hospice Care. First Conference of the Central and Eastern European Society of Behavioral Medicine, Pecs, Hungary, August 20-22, 2007
- Csikos A, Mastrojohn, Busa Cs, Nagy L. Hungarian Family Physicians’ Knowledge, Attitudes and Perceived Barriers Related to Hospice Care. 10th EAPC Congress, Budapest, Hungary, June 7-9, 2007
- Csikos A, Blasszauer B, Busa Cs, Nagy L, McKormick K, Gilchrist V. End-of-Life Issues and Hospice Care in the US and Hungary.4th EAPC Research Forum, Venice, Italy, May 25-27, 2006
About the International Palliative Care Leadership Initiative (LDI) at the Institute for Palliative Medicine at San Diego Hospice (100 KB)
Read About Other International Leaders
Subscribe to IPCRC.net
New videos and content are released weekly. Be the first to know and share with your colleagues.
Or text 22828 to "TreatThePain" to join our email list
RSS FEED: RSS Feed
Follow us on: